Memorials, Monuments, and Plaques
Below is an index of all the monuments and plaques commemorating the fallen within the Ystradgynlais and Ystalyfera areas, whether within British Legion halls, chapels, churches, welfare halls, schools or elsewhere. Also included are references to, and illustrations of, monuments and plaques which have now disappeared, including those erected in chapels which have since been demolished.
This page is arranged in alphabetical order:-
Plaque and Pulpit
Coelbren Church Plaque and Pulpit Memorial can be seen in Capel Colbren. It was erected in 1920 to commemorate the fallen from the village of the First World War, and was inaugurated in a special service with the bishop present.
Coelbren Roll of Honour,
Miners Welfare Hall
Coelbren Roll of Honour is located in Coelbren Miners Welfare Hall. Many old records spell the village as Colbren.
Cwmllynfell Millennium Hall,
Cwmllynfell War Memorial is housed in the Millennium Hall, built in 2001 to replace the old Miners Welfare Hall built in 1934.
Cwmtwrch Peace Well
The Well at Lower Cwmtwrch was a resource that the community was granted permanent access to by landowner Colonel Gough in 1920, on the condition that this was in the name of peace.
Ebenezer Chapel, Upper Cwmtwrch was built in 1893 and is home to a memorial organ, and brass memorial plaques, presented in 1947.
The English Congregational Chapel, Ystalyfera was demolished in 2005, and contained marble and brass war memorials erected by the community in memory of the fallen.
Godrergraig Chapel, Ystalyfera was sold in 1996, and the war memorial to the fallen of the community was then relocated to Godrergraig Primary School, where it remains to this day.
Gurnos Chapel, Ystalyfera was closed and sold to private owners in 2011. It contained a memorial plaque detailing those members of the chapel who had died in both world wars.
Maesydderwen School, Ystradgynlais (in the past often written as Maes-y-dderwen School) has long been the main secondary school for the area, and has memorial plaques commemorating its Old Boys and Masters who died in both World Wars. In 2011, a service of remembrance was held for Battle of Britain pilot Cedric Williams, a former pupil of the school, killed in action in 1940. See also the Maesydderwen Roll of Honour.
Pantteg Chapel War Memorial
The war memorial at Pantteg Chapel records the fallen from among the church members and congregation of Pantteg Chapel.
Pontardawe Technical School
The war memorial at Pontardawe Techhnical School records the fallen from among the graduates of the school.
St David's Ystalyfera
The Scouts Memorial at St. David's Church, Ystalyfera was unveiled in May 1920 at a commemorative service to remember all the one-time scouts who had fallen in the Great War.
Scouts Memorial Trophy,
The Scouts Memorial Trophy at Penrhiwvarteg was intended to be awarded each year to the scout who best embodied those qualities which go towards a boy's character.
St David's Ystalyfera,
The memorial windows at St. David's Church, Ystalyfera were erected in 1926 to remember those members of the church congregation who were killed in the First World War.
Ystalyfera County School
The war memorial tablet at Ystalyfera County School was erected and unveiled in a ceremony in October 1920.